|The story of the "Mumbles Train", as it came to be
known, is as heart breaking as it is fascinating. Considering its myriad achievements and
world records, it's incongruous that the railway isn't more famous. It is disgraceful also
that the railway was abruptly dismantled in 1960 (at that time electric tram powered) -
153 years after those historic first steps in 1807. To the commuter age and the world of
transport that we take for granted today, this was an innovation equivalent to any.
The world's first - and the longest surviving railway until 1960 - is a worthy candidate
of the history books. It is a complex human story of courage, humour and idiosyncrasy. It
is a very Welsh story for it is as large, folksy
and extraordinary as the ancient folk tales of our ancient Celtic nation of Wales, except
all of it happened!The story
commences in July 1804 at Swansea's Bush Inn (which survives to this day). Local
investors, who were responsible for quarrying and mining at Mumbles, were gathered to discuss establishing a
railroad between Mumbles and the docks of Swansea.
The initial suggestion had been to construct a canal along the foreshore of Swansea Bay,
but this was met with vociferous opposition from parties such as Swansea docks which
feared the establishment of a rival dock at Mumbles. It was however essential to mineral
trade that a transport link was established, so a new railroad was the perfect compromise which threatened
no other established business. The only method of conveying limestone and other
minerals until that time had been to send heavily laden boats across Swansea Bay! This was
as dangerous as it was time consuming and much of the cargo must have been lost.
By 1806, the tram road had been completed. In those days, rail tracks were "L" shaped, rather than flanged, and the carriage wheels fitted within this configuration. One member of the company, Benjamin French, had a vision. He proposed to convert an iron carriage for the conveyance of passengers. This was an entirely original concept in 1807 because the railroad itself was a relatively new "technology". Benjamin French is by no means famous, but effectively, he is the godfather of all railway passengers.
French agreed to pay the company £20 a year for the privilege of operating his passenger service on their line and he devised a timetable. On 25 March, the timetable was first executed and this day is officially recognised as the commencement of world's first passenger railway service.
The original act of Parliament which furnished the necessary legal permission to create the five mile railway in 1804 was worded so the line could employ mechanical power, in addition to horses, to draw the wagons and carriages. This was highly controversial at the time. Most scientists of the early industrial revolution, such as James Watt, were convinced that steam engines converted for the purpose of locomotion would be an impracticality. However, the owners of the line at Swansea had close links with Samuel Homfray's ironworks of Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, where Richard Trevithick was developing a mechanical device that would be capable of pulling heavy wagons by steam traction. In February 1804, Trevithick confounded his critics and produced "Pennydarren", the first steam powered locomotive in the world to run on rails. The locomotive hauled ten tons of iron and seventy people along a nine mile route to Merthyr-Cardiff canal. Unfortunately, the experiment's initial triumph was frustrated by the relative weakness of the early 19th Century iron rails, which broke under the weight of the seven ton locomotive. The importance of the outcome of this experiment affected the Swansea passenger service's opportunity to also become the first steam powered passenger railway service in the world, which would have predated the more famous Stockton-Darlington railway by twenty years. Undeterred by Trevithick's failure, the creative Benjamin French was determined to make his passenger carriage run faster, and he experimented with various other forms of traction. This included attaching a sail to the carriage, which reduced the journey to 45 minutes; however, this method depended on a strong wind which wasn't always forthcoming!
Meanwhile, the horse powered railway service did not escape the consternation and delight of the wealthy passengers who could afford the shilling fare (approximately 5 pence = 7 cents). In 1809, author Elisabeth Isabella Spence wrote the following account of her bayside railway journey on the Swansea to Mumbles service:
By the late 1870's, a legal absurdity permitted two companies to operate services on the single track railway. One of the companies issued a court injunction to force their rivals to run exclusively horse-drawn services, while they provided a steam locomotive service. The second half of the 19th Century was the railway service's most turbulent era. The horse service was forced to leave the Swansea terminus some minutes after the steam service and hot coals and cinders were frequently thrown onto the track by the locomotive drivers in order to upset the horses following! Other accidents were commonplace - a compensation tariff had to be devised for Swansea farmers whose wildstock were killed after straying onto the line. Humans were also killed or injured. An inquest was heard in the 1880's to investigate the death of an important politician who had become very drunk one night and followed the track home. He was killed by an oncoming horse. Local man Samuel Ace fell off his carriage and lost an arm when the locomotive drove over it. Sunday night drunken brawling was commonplace on the last train from Mumbles, and local newspaper, "The Cambrian", reported that these fights were usually caused by arguments concerning young ladies.
The new fleet of eleven electric trams were to be the largest tramcars in U.K. service; each had a capacity of 106 seated passengers. These were constructed by Brush Electrical Engineering Company at Loughborough. The electrified line employed posts carrying overhead power lines, which was converted to the requisite direct current in a purpose-built station at Blackpill, which was located at approximately the half way stage of the tram's route. The building survives to this day. The tram followed the traditional line of the original railway, along the curvaceous scenic coast of Swansea Bay. At some points the sea lapped up to within a few feet of the track. On March 2, 1929, the first day of the new tram's service, the public were delighted to learn that the double-decker trams did not contain an open top deck - no more smoke to inhale! The electrification not only met the immediate demand of the railway but as the decades advanced many more passengers were to use the service - for example, five million passengers and tourists were conveyed in 1945. To cope with demand, it was commonplace to couple a pair of trams. Travelling the "Mumbles Train" as it had now come to be known, was an enchanting experience; the combination of the smooth, fast electric trams and the panoramic bayside views provoked the illusion of gliding across water. There were ten stations en-route from central Swansea to Mumbles - Swansea Rutland Street, "The Slip" (the closest stop to Swansea civic centre, Victoria Park, St. Helen's cricket & rugby stadium and the Brangwyn Concert Hall); Brynmill, Ashleigh Road, Blackpill (where the electricity conversion station was located and the closest stop to Clyne Park and the Blackpill Lido paddling pools); West Cross, Norton Road, Oystermouth (at the heart of Mumbles), Southend and Mumbles Pier terminus.
In March 1941 the German Air Force partly destroyed Swansea centre in a series of terrifying bombing raids; miraculously the Swansea railway survived in tact. The large, bright red trams came to symbolise Swansea people's defiance in the face of such devastating adversity. As such, the railway was the subject of inestimable affection and emotional attachment to the Swansea population; it was associated with happy weekends enjoying picnics and concerts by the sea, but it also meant considerably more than this - it was a metaphor for the city's survival.
The driver for the final journey was Frank Duncan, one of the Mumbles Train's great, colourful characters. He had driven the train since 9th January 1903, after he was promoted as a boy from emergency bell ringer, and then fireman, when the Mumbles Train was still a steam service. His stunts were legendary. He would often stop the train alongside the Blackpill golf coarse and confiscated golf balls that had strayed onto the track ... he was even known to keep a hen that had wandered into the path of his train! His service as a driver for the Mumbles Train had spanned 57 years.
Within minutes of the train returning to the Rutland Street shed for the final time, the track was torn up and the trams were being dismantled by a specialist breaker firm, Thomas Ward Bros. A complete tram was offered to the Royal Institution of South Wales Museum, but the curator refused to take it because he felt it was of "no historical interest"! However, a driver's cab was removed - or shall we say guillotined - from one tram which can be viewed today at Swansea Maritime Museum, alongside the replica horse drawn carriage featured in Swansea & Mumbles Railway's 150th anniversary celebrations. One complete tram was transported to England, to the Middleton Railway Society in Leeds, but this was the subject of irreparable arson and vandalism attacks in 1965.
Thursday, March 15, 2012
"The Mumbles Train" - Swansea & Mumbles Railway, Wales the world's first railway service
ipl cricket live streeming