Top 15 ways to find your stolen Android & Apple phone (Update)
Lost your phone? You might just be able to get it back. KYMI tells you the 10 best ways to track your stolen handset
Since we are almost always on the go, it's not surprising that all of us, at some point or another, lose our handsets. More often than not, they are stolen. But unlike the old days where a stolen phone was lost for good, now you can track your device and retrieve it from the thief. We tell you how.
1. IMEI Number: Every phone comes with a unique International Mobile Equipment Identity number which can come in useful to track it in case of loss or theft. This number can be accessed by dialing *#06# and it is advisable to make a note of it as soon as you purchase your handset. In case the phone gets stolen, file an FIR with the police and give them its identity number.
Pass on a copy of the FIR and IMEI number to your service provider who will then be able to track your handset. With its IMEI number, a device can be traced even if it is being used with another Sim or even if it is switched off. Once the handset is located, request your service provider to block it from being used till you are able to get your hands on it again.
2. IMEI Global Database: Another way that you can locate your lost phone is by adding its identity number to a free global database. If the phone is found, it's IMEI number can be used to contact you. Though this is a bit of a long shot, it is definitely worth a try.
3. iCloud: The best way for iPhone users to locate their missing handset is by activating Find My iPhone on it. If you are an iPhone user and you can't find your phone, log on to your iCloud account and click on Find My iPhone. If the phone is on, the service will be able to locate it. In case of theft, as soon as you locate your handset, lock it from your account so that the thief can't steal your information and disable the tracker. You can do this by clicking on the blue information icon on the black locator bar.
4. Google Latitude: If you don't have a handset that can download fancy apps but are still worried about losing your handset, Google Latitude is for you. Google Latitude uses your phone's in-built GPS to locate your phone. If you can't find your handset, log on to Google Latitude from a computer and it will immediately give you the whereabouts of your device.
5. Find My Phone: This is a convenient app for Android users, specially for families. By adding friends and family to the app, everyone's phone movements can be tracked at all times. Though this does sound a bit daunting, it can actually be pretty useful. In case your phone is lost, you can track it from another person's handset. He or she just needs to be on your list within the app.